It's a whole new ball game now that I have the little ones (for better or for worse). Here are a few snippets of month one at a primary school.
1. Background- Between the schedule being a bit off the two weeks and long holidays, there are certain classes that haven't had as much time with me as others.
On a Friday, I'm helping the 6th graders correct their
Student 1- "What's your name?"
Me -(acting all dramatic to keep the kids entertained)- *gasp* you don't know my name? I can't believe this... Who knows my name?
Student 2- Makhala (the other auxiliar in the school that works with them more often)
Me- What is this?? No, that's not my name... I can't believe this... who knows my name?
Student 3- Cathy!
Me- Yes! Thank you! My name is Cathy!
Student 4- (Quietly in the back) Makhala mola mas.... (Makhala sounds cooler)
*Demotivational times 100* LOL
2. While taking a few students out at a time to get to know them in the first few days of class I was with a group of fifth graders asking them what they did that weekend. One of my students who is a bit behind her classmates in English answered me very confidently-
Student- "I went to the house of my grandfather, and went to the cinema."
Me- "What movie did you watch?"
Student 1- *thinks* Tomatoes, peppers, milk
(everyone looks confused)
Me- What film did you go see?
Student 2- quickly translates under his breath
Student 1- Oh! No Cinema! The supermarket!
A few giggles and we continue on with the class. Bless that child.
3. While grading some exams for some of my fifth grade
-Pre-history started when the firs human apparance (3 or 4 year ago) until the invention of writing.
-Pre-history started when the first human appearance and finished when discovered the fire.
4. In order to get free lunch at school the auxiliares have to work in the cafeteria doing "Mesa Restaurante" essentially 10 kids get to have a week where we try to teach them table manners and vocabulary in English while trying to converse with them.
Last weeks top comment (4th grade)-
Student-Do you know what my favorite sport is?
Me- No, what?
Me- Finish your food.
This week's top comment (4th grade)
Students- Let's speak Spanish, it's Friday.
Me and other Auxi- No we're in an English Restaurant!
Student under his breath- Estamos en España, que se jodan los ingleses. (We're in Spain, the English can go fuck themselves)
Oh the joy of actually having to pretend I don't understand.
5. Not all the moments are awkward these days my time is also filled with random hugs, excited to see me faces and waving hands, and I've already had 2 students draw things for me. All is right in my world.
Until next time!!